Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy 5th Birthday Clayton!

Oh, that first baby. How you are forever changed by two pink lines. There is no preparing for the reality of your very own newborn and Clayton as an infant was definitely a shock to the system. Constant feedings and crying practically shattered my fantasies of having this dreamy experience of emerging parenthood. To my surprise this demanding little creature was relentless in his strength of will, surpassing even my own rumored obstinance, or so I believe (I wasn't THAT difficult, was I? [Mom, don't answer that!]). But through it all, I am growing and learning from both the extreme highs and extreme lows of motherhood.

Today, at 5 years old, Clayton is a budding practical thinker. I think we have FINALLY reached a point where we are over the hump of the toddler years and our exchanges involve much more reasoning. I have a growing admiration and respect for him, as well as a growing appreciation for the fact that he is SO MUCH like me! I like it that he makes me think and has challenged what I know about myself. I never new motherhood would teach me so much about MYSELF!

Clayton at five loves outdoor activities like fishing and hunting and frog-catching (now he gets ALL of that from his dad). He feels the most secure at home with his family and actually likes the fact that we have given him several siblings to play with. (I am glad he is the oldest child because he takes his role seriously and does it so well!) Extracurricularly he likes to play baseball and learn Tae Kwon Do. I know his determination will serve him well in life!

We love you Clayton and I couldn't imagine not having you as a first-child! You've taught me so much!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Those fish keep getting bigger and bigger! LOL! Did you have a party today? What a busy mommy you are!

MKHKKH said...

That is so fun to watch him grow. His fat little legs remind me of Hank. Happy birthday big boy! He is going to be the best teacher for his brothers.

Lacey said...

Awww...I still remember like it was yesterday seeing that cute little newborn face. My how our lives have all changed since then. He is adorable. Happy belated 5th birthday Clayton!