Monday, April 25, 2011

Ice Skating for the First Time!

I have had this post saved in draft for some time - just now posting, oops!

(January 9, 2011)

Clayton, Grant, and I got to go on our first ice skating trip ever when we went with Clayton's Cub Scouts group Sunday afternoon. My biggest fear was that we would leave with a broken bone and that it would be ME! Fortunately, we avoided any accidents (although one guy wasn't so lucky and they believed he may have broken his ankle!) and actually had an absolute blast learning the "ropes" of ice skating and getting a feel for a new and different activity. I loved the fact that they had crates stacked two or three high to help the little ones navigate that tough frozen terrain. Heck, I even considered using them myself but was a little self-concious about that screaming "BEGINNER: GET OUT OF HER WAY." LOL I mustered up the courage to "sink or swim" and slowly got a feel for what I was supposed to do. Starting out holding the edge helped, lol. But soon I was making strides (literally) and although still a complete novice I can say that I enjoyed skating around that oval many times by the time we left. I love learning new things but I hated it that there was no one to teach me. What is proper form? These skates are killing my ankles, am I doing this right?? Maybe next time I can Google these questions before we go now that I have a better idea of what DOESN'T work, lol. Anyway, we had a GREAT time and the boys were already asking when we get to go back. I'd like to know, too! :-)


Grant



Clayton (who was pretty fearless)



Grant


Grant & Clayton with their crates


Clayton, Mommy, and Grant



And a boring, but cute video of their experiences on ice for the first time!

No comments: