Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 15th - 24 wks!!

Today was another great appointment! I really do have an awesome doctor (my MFM) who am I so pleased with! Remember how I mentioned that we were waiting on the results of blood tests from both Andy and me this week? Well, the good news is that Andy is heterozygous, meaning that the baby only has a 50% chance (instead of 100%) of being affected by the antibody issue during this pregnancy. The frustrating news is that MY blood test came back with a result that seemed very inaccurate (saying I was negative for the antibody, when that is not possible since once you test positve, you are always positive) and was more than likely a lab error. We were waiting on this number (my titer) to determine whether or not to perform an amnio today. So I had to wait until today's appointment to have my blood drawn again (at a different lab), which meant more waiting to know about the amnio. Luckily, I have a wonderful doctor who makes herself very available and was told I could call her this evening at the hospital for the results of today's blood work. So the GREAT news is that my titer came back as 1:16, which is still below the value in which we would need to monitor the baby by doing an amnio (that value is 1:32). So for now, we are still avoiding the amnio, and the baby looks very good on ultrasound, showing no signs of anemia or fluid build-up. For those interested, his PSV was 34.2, giving us an MoM of 1.11, still well below the critical value of 1.5.

I have been much more wrapped up in the antibody issue lately, so I wanted to address that first. As far as the cervical incompetence, it is seemingly becoming less and less of an issue with every week that passes! :-) Today's cervical length measurements were again over 4 cm, and I have been given even more liberty in my activity. I can be up and about for no more than 20-minute increments every 2 hours. I can do more light activities, but still no lifting or walking the mall, lol. I am so pleased with all the progress that has been made and the confidence I have in my care! I am so blessed!

Well, since yesterday marked 24 weeks into this pregnancy, a very important milestone, I took the suggestion of some good friends and had a celebration know as a "viability party." This basically meant a special dessert after dinner to celebrate the occasion, lol. And since I'm not supposed to be up baking anyway, I decided Betty Crocker wouldn't do, and instead opted for one of my absolute favorites - a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake!! Here are a few pictures. Boy, was it yummy - mmmmm!!! :-)(By the way, it says 24 weeks in case it is difficult to read. Whoever wrote on it at BR did not do a very good job, lol).



No comments: