Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Baby Access - DENIED!

Today was amnio day at UofL Hospital and we got the first of 3 of the lung maturity studies back this afternoon. Baby is NEGATIVE for lung maturity! My doctor said his result needed to be over 30 and his was not even near that at 19. We certainly don't want a baby being born where we are not certain of his breathing capabilities outside of the womb, so delivery has obviously been postponed. This was a little shocking as there was an 85% chance of his lung maturity coming back positive. Now we wait for the rest of the results from the amnio to come in and I should speak with my doctor again tomorrow and we should have a plan formulated for delivery as late as Friday.

It has been a little difficult to completely switch gears and realize that we are not having our baby tomorrow, but at the same time I am very thankful for many reasons. I am thankful that we have the technology that tells us how safe it is for him to be born. I am thankful that I get at least one more week for my body to go into labor naturally. And I am thankful that I now have a whole week to heal and recuperate from my recent injuries!

So, as of right now, no baby this week! But as you are probably aware, labor/delivery is not the most predictable event! LOL I will continue to update you on what is happening with us. :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you are disappointed, but you're right - you're blessed that Ace can have all the time he needs to get ready to be born. We'll be praying that everything goes well as you near that big day. Please let me know if you need anything.

Courtney said...

Hang in there Jess! He'll be here soon enough! LOL!
Can't wait to see his cute face!

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

I am so sorry about your fall and feel that perhaps you are just being given a little more time to be ready for your new little son. I am still praying for you!

By the way, Clayton looked like he was really settled in to his first day of preschool when I saw him in the cafeteria!

Suzanne