Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pirates Tball 2010

(July 8, 2010)

Well, we celebrated the end of our fantastic tball season with a team party at a local sports-themed family restaurant. The dad of one of my players is the manager there and offered to buy the kids each a meal and put our team uniform shirt, along with a team picture signed by each player and coach, on the wall. I thought that was so neat!

This had to be one of my favorite parts of the season. Not because it meant it was over, but because I decided to come up with awards for each child to recognize where he stood out the most throughout the season. I thought long and hard about each child and reflected on many of the laughs, challenges, and proud moments of the past few months. I spent lots of time creating my own award certificate, each personalized with a graphic to fit the achievement. I had 13 players and gave each player their own unique award, with the exception of two kids who both received the same award because it just fit. My awards were: Best Attitude (x2), Best Arm, Best Base Running, Speed Demon, Most Heart, Most Eager to Learn, Most Improved, Best Batting, Most Confidence, Best Team Player, Best All-Around, and Golden Glove. Even though I was a little nervous and a bit tearful at times, I enjoyed having the opportunity to get up in front of all the players and parents to let them know how special I think each child is and how much I enjoyed being their coach this season.

We were proud to finish 3rd in the league out of 8 teams! I will NEVER forget this experience...

Here is a slideshow of pictures from the evening of our party. Grant received the "Best Attitude" award because he always had a smile on his face and NEVER complained about anything (not even about having to wear that hot, heavy catcher's equipment for the entire season). Clayton received the "Most Confidence" award for believing in himself and showing up to play like he knew he could every game both on the field at first base and in the batters box. I'm so proud of my boys!

No comments: